As part of Physical Fitness & Sports month Valley-Wide Health Systems will be sharing information about how physical activity can improve your well-being. In the article below, Physician Assistant Michael Henderson gives the top 9 benefits of regular exercise.
Exercise is defined as any movement that makes your muscles work and requires your body to burn calories. It is essential for health. Our physical bodies are machines that need to perform daily work.
- It can make you feel happier! Exercise can increase the effects of brain hormones which relieve feelings of depression.
- It can help with weight loss. Inactivity is a major factor in weight gain and obesity.
- It is good for your muscles and bones. Exercise releases hormones that prevent muscle loss, and can help prevent osteoporosis.
- It can increase your energy levels. Exercise is even effective for those who suffer from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Multiple Sclerosis.
- It can reduce your risk of chronic disease. Exercise improves insulin sensitivity, and decreases blood pressure and blood lipid levels.
- It is good for skin health. Regular exercise increases production of antioxidants and blood flow, which promote smoother, younger-looking skin.
- It can preserve brain health and memory. Exercise increases blood flow to brain, which in turn increases mental function and reduces risk of Alzheimer’s disease and schizophrenia.
- It can improve relaxation and sleep quality. The energy depletion that occurs during exercise induces sleep so that the body can undergo recuperative processes.
- It can reduce pain. Studies have shown that exercise can raise pain tolerance and lower pain perception.
In short, regular exercise can make us feel better and look better inside and out. Begin a conversation with your personal medical provider about how and when to exercise, and learn how to set healthy goals. START TODAY!
Valley-Wide Health Systems is committed to providing information conducive to a healthy active lifestyle. For more information and to discuss your wellness journey with a provider visit us at vwhs.org.