The San Luis Valley Nurse-Family Partnership at Valley-Wide Health Systems, Inc.
is celebrating 13 years of service to low-income, first-time mothers. VWHS has been the fiscal administrative agent of the SLV program since its inception in 2001. NFP is a highly respected evidence-based research model that has been in existence for over 30 years. NFP programs are currently available in six countries and 43 states plus the Virgin Islands. NFP clients benefit from regular home visits with their nurse home visitors during pregnancy and for two years after their child is born.
The program has three goals:
- Improve pregnancy outcomes
- Improve child health and development, and
- Improve the economic self-sufficiency of the family.
Results of the Program:
- 798 First-Time pregnant moms in the San Luis Valley have received visits and valuable information from NFP nurses!
Recent NFP program graduate, Ashley (right) and son with Nurse Home Visitor, Dyan (left)
- 695 infants have been born to NFP moms in the San Luis Valley and have acquired a great start on life thanks to the partnership between NFP nurses and parents!
- Since the first home visit on June 7, 2001, SLV NFP nurses have made 23,720 home visits and traveled 456,741 miles for visits with clients, all in 13 years!
- NFP families in the SLV graduate from the program at a higher rate; with 295 women completing the 21/2 year program!
For more information about NFP check out the Nurse-Family Partnership page